Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Baader-Meinhoff Phenomenon

This week - back to the regular schedule:   surprise appearances by Nixon and the Baader-Meinhoff gang.



There are many reasons I'm glad I don't live in 1959 and the leisure wear on the left page  is one of them.






Blech!  Very much like the Avondale ad of a few pages back.   Also - blech!  Feh.



Back to the Loungees:  Either this is the name of the company or the kind of thing these things are.  If you look up Loungees now, you get muu-muus.  But left to right, we have  a "Cabin Coat, Riviera Roamers, the Sun Deck Cooler."  I recognize the sun dress.  But a cabin coat?  Instead of a house coat when you are on a cruise, I suppose.  The whole "house coat" thing always mystified me.  Also the "house dress," which still existed as such in 1974 in the La Puente Sears.  I know because I spent hours straightening two racks of them - over and over, passively, aggressively in a seldom-visited corner of Women's Wear.  Deserted my post to wander into the television department to watch Nixon's resignation.   Forgot about that.

Ah - Loungees, Inc.  was a lounge wear company in Brooklyn from at least 1951 to 1968, owned by the Farah brothers - Albert, Richard, Henry and George.  Now you know.




These dresses are lovely.

"Ombre - a new expression in Irish linen."   Ombre?  Ombre for the third time this week! First - last week's New York Times dismissing  the whole ombre hair thing - long hair that's a natural color at the top and something else toward the bottom.  (I saw this once in the Paris Metro:  a woman with hip-length hair dyed like flames.  That was ombre.)  The next day I read in an old Martha Stewart a piece on color.  Your new ombre sofa!  A few packets of Rits Dye . . . It means "to shade."  Thanks, Martha. I think.   And now, ombre Irish linen.

This is a perfect example of the Baader-Meinhoff Phenonemon, which  you will be seeing again very soon.  You're welcome.

Late Christmas presents:  Not having as easy a time in finding the 14 classical albums as the 16 "popular" albums.  But I did find this, intact and for sale on iTunes and available on Spotify:

Mahler:  Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen.  Kindertoten Lieder.  Christa Ludwig, Adrian Boult, Andre Vandernoot.



I liked this.  Very good music to make lasagne by.

Now, let's go to the movies!



*  A French boy has problems in school and at home.

*  Well, it wasn't about an orphan constantly getting beaten up. Whew!   I have a hard time in seeing what all the self-congratulatory fuss was about.  An average, slightly unpleasant boy and his almost good-enough parents - film seemed to keep pointing things out in an accusatory manner, but I don't see the big indictment of society.

*  Beautiful film, beautiful music, drags in the final quarter.  I don't know if this is the first movie with the sudden, pointless ending, but after having seen plenty of them, a time came when I just waited for the  sudden, pointless ending.  Still - gorgeous movie.


Next week:  a lot more glamour.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...