Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Of All Posts, One Must Be Worst, And This Is Probably The One


So much for blogging every day - today: the last suit.



Now Tweeting:  "St. Louis Blues," Back to Back, Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges.  Very nice.




Red jersey Ben Gershel suit.  Which I like.  Cost $190 ($1500).  That I don't see.  It strikes me as the kind of suit a regular person would buy at Nordstrom during the Anniversary Sale, a sale I shopped very successfully on Sunday.  Third time with my shopping lady.  I just put myself in her hands and we try to cram as many items into my budget as will fit.  Three hours and I'm done.  Then I don't go near the place for another year.  Works perfectly.  This year we were pretty heavy on the Michael Kors, a designer I have always viewed as an old fart.  But good enough for government work.

Michael Kors does seem so old - yet he's younger than me.  Oddly enough, he was three months old when this issue hit the stands.  I wondered about his fashion lineage:  pure Bergdorf Goodman, as it turns out.  Sprang fully formed from Better Dresses.

I like the photo.  I like the lumbering school bus in the background.  The model - who is she? - looks impatient.  Karen Radkai, photographer.

Who was Ben Gershel?  No idea.  Seventh Avenue stalwart, that's obvious.  During the 1950's, Robert Knox was the house designer for Ben Gershel.  Can't find anything at all on him, either.  Well, just found something on Vintage Fashion Guild, but I like to use more original sources - not that they aren't good at VFG, I just don't want to lift their research.

Tomorrow: art history.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...